Friday, May 17, 2013

looking at goverments infrastructure spends & the bigger picture

This morning I have been listening to calls & comment on the BBC Radio Scotland Ask Kay programme discussing changes to rd safety & cycling issues, & the dangers to cycles.
I'v heard a lot of discussions and debate around this topic in recent months.

 I'v also heard a lot of talk from central and local government about infrastructure, regeneration and rebuilds of various infrastructure projects, frankly, most of it centers around party political PR, focused towards investment interests from the construction industry.

With this in mind I would like to address some of the issues I see in regard of  rd safety, regeneration and the wider aspects of health & economic interest in these areas.

Obviously my opinions are personal, I am neither politician or construction engineer, my interests are purely from the health & social welfare prospective because as I see it , a healthy nation is a wealthy nation.

I have had an interest in this area for a few years and indeed wrote a risk assessment of issues of concern I had regarding Wellington bus station in Telford, while I was a resident there,( it was posted on my facebook and I shall find it at some point from my various memory stick files & repost here, I have lost access to my facebook notes so it may take some time too find!I have many file in many boxes!)


 I had many concerns with regard to infrastructure, road and in particular pedestrian safety while a resident in Telford, and took many pictures, of many cracked pavements and poor road, safety concerns which I confronted both the local parish council, and Telford & Wrekin council with, however my concerns fell on deaf ears and I was told on more than 1 occasion by the chair of the parish council to "shut up you stupid woman" indeed, I was branded by the parish council as something of a hot head and trouble maker, as is suggested in one or more of their minutes from a parish council meeting referancing My name, and points made regarding road safety are mentioned in more than 1 parish council meeting minutes, ( I have copies) along with the copies of of emails to Telford and Wrekin council road and traffic dept reporting my concerns ,I am very thorough in regard of record keeping in these areas.

I  have noticed, that in debates and proposals for road salty & regeneration construction based projects, the emphases is pushed in 3 main areas by local and central goverment,  these are;

1. The comercial value in promoting investment to the infrastructure & regeneration projects

2. The employment opportunities these projects will enhance.

3. The overall benefits this will bring to community & nation.

      However, what I have seen in practice is,

1. Neglect of risk assessment in regard of pedestrian and road safety issues

2. New builds & refurbishment of council offices & buildings housing goverment & goverment       associated departments

3. Regeneration projects to town center and comercial developments, with large construction projects involving demolition & rebuild of existing properties (both commercial and private & social housing based) on properties that could have been renovated to a high standard at a fraction of the cost, and still provide temporary employment in the construction industry during duration of regen project, & encouraged comercial investment in on going buisness and training opportunities in the renovated properties.

4. local communities with poor paving & lighting repair posing various risks to residents from all sections of the community

5.Closures and cut backs to community based services, both front line & recreational

6. existing comercial properties that lie empty for long periods (often with lights on and no one inside!)

I am fully aware of the need for investment and improvement to the infrastructure, not least from a health and safety prospective.

However, I find it totally irresponsible and a misappropriation of funds to spend money on demolition & rebuild when refurbishment would suffice, particularly when it is at a cost to residential communities where residents young and old are at risk of accident and emergency resulting from, not just poor traffic & road safety conditions, but poor pavements that are filled with cracks and potholes underfoot ( particularly in winter when it's dark earlier and these dangerous cracks and potholes are covered or filled with autumn leaves or snow and are thus concealed , posing the risk of increase strain on A&E, and  other health services, ie hip replacements& other nasty fall incidents, particularly a risk to the ealderly, who are having to walk further in many cases as a result of the cuts to local bus services.
I don't think I have to explain the consequences of  incident or accident resulting from poor pedestrian & road safety or risks posed by poor or ill repaired street light maintenance, but I will.

1.Incidents of time of work for recovery, even for minor injurys cause inconvenience to employers and loss of earning for workers,

2.Elderly people suffering from a fall often need extra help with care, from families or health services, may have to undergo major surgery that is a higher risk to their health & will cause additional issues in both instances of trauma, possible depression & stress to all involved, themselves, family friends, CARERS.

3.Poor maintenance of lighting & shrubbery in residential estates increases risk of violent crime or attack, to all ages, & indeed property, this can be from a burglary or theft ( property, home or car) or opportunist crimes against the person, again robbery, or sexually motivated.

All of these issues have consequences that can affect the long term physical, emotional & mental health of the individual involved in the incidents that occur and their families in a number of ways,

Let there be no mistake, I am all for investment and the development of communities at both a national and local level.
 I strongly believe that investment in these areas promotes employment & training, comercial investment & economic growth and I absolutely believe that this greatly improves the physical mental and emotional well being of the people living and working in the community.

                                  BUT...

Let there also be no mistake, that I do not believe that the current policies & procedures, cuts & reforms be they social, financial, ecconomic, medical,  economical or whatever other area you wish to look at, of the present or former UK governments are in the best interest of the residents of the UK or indeed the greater global community...

IT'S TIME FOR CHANGE.





No comments: