Thursday, September 5, 2013

latest response from local Mp regarding chemical weapons & war criminal tony Blair, my reply to follow...

To: junei96
June, thank you for your e-mail about chemical weapons, which is far-ranging in content.

As you are probably aware Parliament was recalled last Thursday to discuss chemical weapons being used in Syria. The Prime Minister was proposing that the UK should take part in military action because of the use of chemical weapons, with the US and other western allies, against the Assad government in Syria. I voted against this proposal, because I did not see how the proposed action could be effective, and it was not clear what the ultimate goal was.

I am opposed to the use of chemical weapons, as we have previously discussed.

You raise the issue of pursuing a charge against Tony Blair under the general heading of “war crimes”, but it is not the role of Members of Parliament to initiate criminal charges. If there are people who have witnessed, or have evidence that a crime has been committed, it is up to them to make a complaint.  It is not the role of an MP to initiate a complaint on their behalf.

You make a point about a “duty of care and responsibility” to constituents in this context, but I do not understand how that would work. Where does a “duty of care” apply in relation to Members of Parliament? Tony Blair is no longer in Government, so I do not see what protection you are seeking from his actions.

Of course I seek to represent all constituents in my Parliamentary duties, regardless of whether they support me or not. But in this case, it is not clear what you are asking me to do, nor is it clear what the basis is for the action you are proposing.”

Regards

BRIAN H DONOHOE MP
CENTRAL AYRSHIRE

No comments: