Friday, April 4, 2014

Scotlands woman of substance Margo MacDonald

A great sense of sadness washed over me this afternoon as the news came over the radio that Margo MacDonald had passed on.
 My reaction suprised me as I felt tears roll down my face and quickly turn to sobs, cos I never actually knew her, yet I was reacting like I had just heard a family member had died, but then perhaps, in the greater sceme of things I kinda had, as a member of the MacDonald clan by birth on my mothers side I feel I can claim kinship.

As quickly as my reaction took hold I heard a wee voice in my head saying pull yourself together woman, life goes on, something my own mum would have told me, and I kinda suspect Margo would have very much agreed with.

Margo Macdonald was the first person ever to stoke a flame of interest in politics in me as a young teenager, it was she who inspired me to stand in the elecection in social education class as the SNP candidate, which I lost!, however the result apart, her insperation to inflame that interest in politics & indeed social issues never left me there after.

I won't go on about Margo MacDonalds contribution to politics and raising awareness of many important social & indeed health issues, I will leave that to those who worked with her & knew her personally.

I just wanted to take a few moments to pay tribute & respect to a great Scots woman, a woman of substance & integrity, a woman who was a  great insperation to me and many others, who will never be forgotton as one of Scotland great & insperational daughters in the political & social world.

Thoughts & condolances with Margo's friends & family at this very sad time.




No comments: